Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tiffany's Wedding Part 3: the Conclusion





Phase 5(b): Laying down the second colour

Well, how 'bout that. We put on the second and final overlay cover. In this installment we pretty well put all the pieces together and see just what these colours do in live action! The Dusky Teal and Magenta were not colours that Tiffany pulled out of the air, they actually BELONG somewhere, as the top photo sorta gives away.

Today is day two for this job. As you remember from the last episode, our hero had to let the monogramme run dry overnight because of heavy ink coverage and hard finish on the paper. Not a real great combo for fast drying, but a nice combo for sharp imagery.

I began the day with my sweet and colour-wise wife suggesting that before I head out to the studio/ shop, slap ink on the disk and crank the second colour, I might give Tiffany a call and let her look at the first colour. Who knows, she may want it lighter? And while I'm at it, double the white in the mix and have the twice-light teal ink ready IF she prefers the lighter version. It made sense, so I did just that, and ran a proof. It was half as dark, looked nice, but not really nice-er. I ran a proof of the magenta text over the lighter teal, and it was a bit more contrasty. So it could go one way or the other.

Tiffany came by and loved the first run. We need not run another 150 of the lighter. So, that accomplished, we proceeded to lock up the second die, which has the Edwardian Script body text in the place where the monogramme block went in the lock-up. This gave me pretty close registration to the first colour and saved me a sheet of tympan paper. I had to move the gauge pins just a touch. I use a micrommetre to level and centre justify my copy on the tympan, which took about 8 or 9 impressions to do. I ran a manual cycle, took an impression, and we were all set to go.





I took a few shots in case it was hard to imagine magenta on a press that had teal on it yesterday. Sheesh, talk about changing gears . . .

This run went a lot quicker because I didn't have to "double-clutch" the press, that is, I could pull an impression from each cycle, as opposed to yesterday's impression every two cycles. Today I was running text, and not an image with wide areas of ink coverage.

The Pearl Linen finish took the text very nicely, and no depression is seen on the reverse of the cards. But it's not exactly what is called a "kiss" impression, either. There is a little depression of the front fibres of the surface finish, but no separation of fibres. Thus you do see a very slight deboss on the front, which is quite classic. That's what I like to see. Just the old traditionalist coming out, I suppose.

I love press shots! I'm not a huge fan of my camera's flash, though. It makes my presses look so rusty! They are not, in fact, quite the opposite. But I don't have time to photoshop these pictures, so here goes. No, the smeary red on the die is not from the rollers. The roller height is set just right. It was from the proofing, after which I cleaned the die and got some magenta residue on the wood from the type brush.





The run totaled 180 impressions, two colour. This was over the amount requested, but heck, what's a little overkill? I told Tiffany that after the wedding she can send Derek out on the street corner and sell the overage to passers-by.

Phase 6: Wrap Up.
And now, once again, I have a living room and dining room full of cards drying. One of these days I'll spring for a wire tray pie rack. Yeah, when I get that store-front with the bay window.





Here's another shot of the completed announcement in the four-fold envelope. Here you can see why I ran the colours I did. The envelope and backing card keys with the monogramme and text. The flaps on the sides interleave as they close, not unlike the petals of a flower.





Here is the envelope, closed.

Well, that's it! From beginning to end. The whole process took several weeks with consultation, materials procurement, re-consultation, testing, sign off and process. Add this to the fact that I am a practicing Optician managing a clinic. And I get up every morning at 4am to do a 6.6 kilo course 6 days a week. Busy guy? Yeah. But my hope is that as Letterpress catches on around here in Central Florida, I can actually open my operation up to full time activity. It practically is that already!

Good Providence in all your Letterpress Endeavours!

-gary

G. Johanson, Printer!
Fellow, Florida Pioneer Settlement for the Creative Arts


1 comment:

  1. Wow, Gary, what a process!
    And the finished product is beautiful!
    Thought you would enjoy Tony's latest 2 posts about cleaning a recent instrument:
    www.paisanoaccordions.blogspot.com

    Blessings always.

    ReplyDelete